Friday, June 4, 2010

Preserve It . . . Canning Corner - Strawberry Freezer Jam!

Strawberries are available at Day Farms for
2 weeks in June and 2 weeks in August,
so I thought I would go with an old favorite this week:
Strawberry Freezer Jam!
Here's the Recipe:
3 1/4 cups Crushed Berries
1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
4 1/2 cups Sugar
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
Instructions:
Remove stems from strawberries.
Crush berries using a potato masher.
or
Lightly chop/pulse in food processor (leave chunks).
Do Not Puree'
Measure exact amount of prepared fruit along with lemon juice
into a large bowl.
Measure exact amount of sugar into seperate bowl.
(Reducing sugar or using substitute will result in set failures.)
Gradually stir 1 box pectin into fruit.
Mix thoroughly.
Set aside 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to dissolved
pectin thoroughly.
Pour 1 cup light corn syrup into fruit mixture.  Mix well.
This prevents sugar crystalization during freezer storage.
Stir in sugar gradually.  Stir constantly until sugar is completely
dissolved and no longer grainy.
Pour into prepared containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
Let stand at room temperature 24 hours until set.
Refrigerate up to 3 weeks.
Otherwise, store in your freezer for up to 1 year.
Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
Yields 7 cups.
Here's the Recipe PDF:
Don't Forget to dip a few of your
strawberries in chocolate . . . just a little reward
for all your great efforts!
Strawberry Freezer Jam, Fresh Peanut Butter,
and Homemade Bread . . .
It just doesn't get any better than that!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love your blog! After running across your blog I requested (and got) a pressure canner for Mother's Day. I am determined to get good use out of it thanks to the easy & detailed recipes on your blog! The thing I struggle with is knowing if the items to be canned are a good price. In other words if I go to Day Farms & buy strawberries, how do I know that I am getting a deal and that it will be cheaper making it myself, than buying it in bulk at a store? I would love a post on money saving tips and good prices for fruits/veggies to can! Rebecca

wileyfamilyof5 said...

Did you know they now make freezer jam pectin.

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

No Way! Where did you find it?
That's AWESOME!
Trish

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

Canning is more expensive your first year. Once you have all of your jars, and canning supplies it works out to be about even.
As far as picking your own fruits and veggies, I have found that most of it is cheaper. The grocery stores will have an amazing deal every once in a while, but the price is usually better when you pick your own.
Hopefully that helps!
Trish
P.S.
Last year I got a box of peppers (and they where sooo good) for $10.00. Compare that to the grocery store prices and the pick your own are way better.

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

Watch for fruit that is not being used. I found a lot of my apricots, and grapes for free last year . . . YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT PRICE!
Most of the people who are not using their fruit are just glad to not have to clean up the rotten fruit!
Just thought I'd let you know!
Trish